- 2 min to read
The grid's Endless Paging mode can be enabled by setting the ASPxGridViewPagerSettings.Mode property to EndlessPaging.
In Endless Paging mode, the grid hierarchy is created on the server side, and is sent to the client side on demand based on user actions. The hierarchy is created based on row keys. Thus, the ASPxGridBase.KeyFieldName property should be specified so that the grid works properly.
Since the grid only creates portions of its hierarchy on the server side, visible row indexes can differ from the indexes on the client side. Therefore, it is recommended that you use the ASPxGridBase.FindVisibleIndexByKeyValue method to get the visible index of the actual row before using it (e.g., in the ASPxClientGridView.GetRowValues method).
In Endless Paging mode, a grid can be updated in the following two ways.
- A partial update is performed when loading a page, expanding/collapsing a group, or expanding/collapsing a detail row. In this case, rows that are loaded on the client side are maintained. The header, footer, etc., are not updated.
- A full update is performed when filtering, sorting, grouping, and dragging columns. As a result, the view on the client side is not synchronized with data on the server side, so data should be reloaded.
Endless Paging Mode Limitations
- Templates. In Endless Paging mode, only the currently required data is created on the server. Thus, when the grid contains a template with a control, it cannot access the template data if the hierarchy has not yet been created on the server side. Therefore, in this mode, grid templates should be used for appearance customization purposes only.
- Master-Detail Grid. The master-detail grid implementation is based on the template technology, and thus is not supported in Endless Paging mode.
- Edit Form Template. Edit form templates do not work properly in Endless Paging mode. To use them, collect and update grid data manually on the client side.
- ASPxGridLookup. The ASPxGridLookup control does not support Endless Paging mode for the grid.
- The server-side MakeRowVisible method. In Endless Paging mode, the ASPxGridView.MakeRowVisible method is not in effect.
- The client-side MakeRowVisible method. In Endless Paging mode, the ASPxClientGridView.MakeRowVisible method is in effect for uploaded rows only.
- Batch Edit Mode is not supported.
- GridViewDataComboBoxColumn (as well as ASPxComboBox in a template) with enabled callbacks is not supported.