VCL Spell Checker
- 2 minutes to read
The following topics contain step-by-step instructions on how to use the Spell Checker component and general information on how the component detects misspelled words:
The component supports the following dictionaries:
- OpenOffice (uses the Hunspell format)
- Custom. You can associate the component with a custom plain-text dictionary. Users can populate this dictionary with words that are missing from built-in dictionaries.
Refer to the following topic for detailed information on dictionary management in code: How to Add Dictionaries in Code
Spell Checking Modes
- Check As You Type
- In this mode, the spell checker underlines misspelled words while a user types text. A user can open the context menu for a misspelled word and do any of the following:
- Select the corrected word
- Ignore this misspelling or all its occurrences
- Add the word to a custom dictionary
- Open the Spelling dialog to use advanced spell checking features.
- In this mode, the spell checker corrects misspelled words and incorrect capitalization as a user types text. A user can adjust auto correction settings in the AutoCorrect Options dialog. A user should select
AutoCorrect Optionsin the misspelled word’s context menu to invoke the dialog.
This dialog allows a user to correct mistakes and add new words to a custom dictionary while checking the text. You can switch the dialog between
- Spelling Options
This dialog allows a user to specify spell check rules.
- AutoCorrect Options
This dialog allows a user to specify options for the automatic spell checking, and change the list of word replacements.
This dialog allows a user to specify exceptions to automatic correction.
- Custom Dictionary
This dialog allows a user to edit words in a custom dictionary.
- Spelling Complete
The notification dialog that is displayed when all misspelled words are corrected.