Included Controls and Components
- 9 minutes to read
- Editors (include related RepositoryItems and can be embedded in data-aware controls)
- Controls (contain no RepositoryItems and can be used in stand-alone mode only)
- Components (non-visual utility components)
Editors in this section can be embedded into data-aware controls (Data Grid, Tree List, Vertical Grid, and other EditorContainer class descendants). See the Cell Values, Editors, and Validation Data Grid help article for an example.
You can also use the RepositoryItemAnyControl item to embed non-editor controls (for example, Charts).
For text values
- TextEdit - a text box where users can enter string values. All editors with a text box are derived from this editor.
- MemoEdit - displays and allows users to edit multi-line text.
- MemoExEdit - a text box with a drop-down button that invokes a pop-up panel. The panel displays multi-line text and allows users to edit the text.
- RepositoryItemRichTextEdit - displays RTF data.
For numerical values
- SpinEdit - a text box with "Up" and "Down" buttons that allow users to increase or decrease the current value.
- CalcEdit - a text box with a drop-down button that shows a drop-down panel with a calculator.
- TrackBarControl - a scale with a thumb. A user can drag this thumb along the scale to change the current value.
- ZoomTrackBarControl - a TrackBarControl with "+" and "-" buttons that allow users to move a thumb.
- RangeTrackBarControl - a scale with two thumbs that allow users to select an interval. Returns TrackBarRange class objects.
- SparklineEdit - displays multiple numeric values as a continuous graph.
- ProgressBarControl - displays the current operation's progress (the MarqueeProgressBarControl plays its animation and displays an ongoing process).
For boolean values
- CheckEdit - allows users to choose between checked, unchecked, and (optionally) undetermined states. Supports multiple styles that specify the editor's appearance.
- ToggleSwitch - the animated On\Off slider.
For date and time values
- DateEdit - a text box with a drop-down calendar.
- TimeEdit - a text box with two spin buttons. Supports Touch UI mode that replaces spin buttons with a drop-down time selector.
- TimeSpanEdit - a text box that displays time intervals.
- PictureEdit - displays an image and allows users to modify it (crop, straighten, adjust brightness, and so on).
- ImageEdit - a text box with a drop-down panel that displays an image. Supports the same image edit functionality as the PictureEdit.
- ImageComboBoxEdit - allows users to select an image from a drop-down list.
- ColorEdit - allows you to select a color from a drop-down panel.
- ColorPickEdit - an advanced color picker with multiple palettes (a predefined color palette, Web, Web-Safe, and System) to choose colors from.
Editors in this group allow users to select multiple items from a list. Each item has its own unique value. The editor's EditValue property returns comma-separated values of all the selected items.
- ComboBoxEdit - a text box with a drop-down panel that displays items. Users can select a single item.
- ImageComboBoxEdit - an upgraded version of the ComboBoxEdit editor that supports item images.
- CheckedComboBoxEdit - similar to the ComboBoxEdit, but items display check boxes next to their captions. Users can check multiple items at a time.
- FontEdit - displays all system fonts found on a machine as a drop-down list.
- MRUEdit - similar to the ComboBoxEdit editor, but allows users to enter values that are currently not in the drop-down list. The editor validates these values, and adds them to the list in case they pass validation.
- PopupGalleryEdit - a text box with a drop-down panel that displays a gallery.
- RadioGroup - a panel with multiple radio buttons. Users can select only one radio button at a time.
- TokenEdit - a text box that transforms text blocks into tokens. Can function in two modes: allows users to enter text (entered text is then validated and valid pieces are dispayed as tokens), or stores a pre-defined token list that users can choose from.
Lookups are data-bound editors that display data source records in their drop-down panels, but users can select only one item at a time. If you need a data-bound editor that allows multiple selection, use the CheckedComboBoxEdit, or create a PopupContainerEdit that stores a Data Grid.
- LookUpEdit - a text box with a drop-down panel that displays data in a tabular format.
- GridLookUpEdit - the drop-down panel embeds the Data Grid control.
- TreeListLookUpEdit - the drop-down panel embeds the Tree List control.
- SearchLookUpEdit - a GridLookUpEdit with an embedded find panel.
See the Which Lookup to Use in Your Next WinForms Project blog post for more information about different DevExpress lookup editors.
- ButtonEdit - a text box with custom buttons. You can hide the text box and leave buttons only (for instance, to display the "Remove" button in each Data Grid row).
- RatingControl - displays a set of identical icons (e.g., stars) that allow users to rate the related content.
- HyperLinkEdit - displays a clickable hyperlink.
- PopupContainerEdit - allows you to display custom content in the drop-down panel.
- BreadCrumbEdit - Microsoft Windows Explorer-inpired navigation bar that allows users to navigate through a hierarchical node tree.
Buttons and labels
- DropDownButton - The button that can be associated with a popup control or a context menu. It is possible to prevent the button from receiving focus on a click.
- CheckButton - The button that supports two states - elevated and depressed. It is possible to prevent the button from receiving focus on a click. Multiple buttons can be combined into a radio group, in which only a single button is checked simultaneously.
- LabelControl - The label that supports formatted text, images, multi-line text strings and HTML formatting.
- HyperlinkLabelControl - The label that supports displaying text or its portion as a hyperlink. Allows you to use HTML tags to format text.
- SimpleButton - The button that can display text along with a custom image and can be clicked at runtime without receiving focus.
- WindowsUIButtonPanel - Allows you to create Windows UI flat buttons.
- CheckedListBoxControl - The checked list box control, in which each item can be checked, unchecked or set to the grayed state. The control can be populated with items from a data source.
- ControlNavigator - Provides a graphical interface for navigating data-aware controls that implement the INavigatableControl interface (this interface is implemented by all DevExpress data-aware container controls).
- DataNavigator - The control that enables navigation through records in a data source and provides common record operations.
- ImageListBoxControl - The list box control that displays a list of items that a user can select. Can be populated with items from a data source.
- ListBoxControl - The list box control that displays a list of items that a user can select. Can be populated with items from a data source.
- BarCodeControl - Displays a bar code.
- FilterControl - Allows users to build filter criteria and apply them to controls and data sources.
- FilterEditorControl - Allows users to build filter criteria and apply them to controls and data sources. Supports visual and text criteria edit modes.
- ImageSlider - The control that allows your end-users to browse through a collection of images using two navigation buttons. Supports animation effects when navigating between images.
- ProgressPanel - Represents a control showing an await message to a user.
- RangeControl - Supports range selection for any data.
- GalleryControl - The control displaying an image gallery, with the capability to categorize items into groups.
- CalendarControl - a calendar that allows users to select a date or date range(s).
- CameraControl - Displays a video stream captured from a video input device, such as a webcam.
- GroupControl - The panel with a title which can be aligned along the top, bottom, left or right edge.
- HScrollBar - The horizontal scrollbar.
- VScrollBar - The vertical scrollbar.
- PanelControl - The panel with or without a border.
- SplitterControl - Allows end-users to resize controls that are docked to the splitter's edges.
- SplitContainerControl - The control that consists of two panels separated by a splitter, which can be dragged by an end-user to resize the panels.
- XtraScrollableControl - The skinnable panel with built-in auto-scroll functionality.
- XtraTabControl - Displays tabbed pages where you can place your controls.
Many DevExpress controls provide an Images collection. Assign a DevExpress image collection to this property and use the ImageIndex property of the control's child element to choose an image for this element. For instance, in the code below the "button1" BarButtonItem receives a third image from the "svgImageCollection1" storage.
//assign an image collection to a control with items ribbonControl1.Images = svgImageCollection1; //use the ImageIndex property to choose item images button1.ImageOptions.ImageIndex = 2;
- ImageCollection -
- SharedImageCollection - The image collection that allows you to share images between controls within multiple forms.
- SvgImageCollection - Stores vector images added by you and provides these images to DevExpress controls.
- DPIAwareImageCollection - Storage that serves as an external icon source for DevExpress controls. Automatically replaces default images with their larger counterparts at higher DPI settings.
- ToolTipController - Provides tooltip management for individual controls.
- DefaultToolTipController - Manages tooltips for all DevExpress controls.
Notifications and data validation
- AlertControl - The component that supports displaying alert windows.
- ToastNotificationsManager - The component that displays Windows Modern UI-inspired toast notifications. See Toast Notification Manager.
- DXErrorProvider - Provides error management for DevExpress bound and unbound editors.
- DXValidationProvider - Provides data validation management for DevExpress bound and unbound editors.
Design and appearance
- SplashScreenManager - Allows you to create and show splash screens and wait forms.
- StyleController - Provides centralized appearance and paint style management for editors and controls.
- TransitionManager - Allows you to implement animated transitions between control states.
- WorkspaceManager - Manages layouts of all DevExpress controls in the application as one global workspace. Workspaces can be saved and restored to (from) a local storage or stream.