Reports V2 Module
- 4 minutes to read
Reports are widely used in business applications to present data in human-readable and printer-friendly formats. The Reports V2 module is introduced to simplify the integration of DevExpress Reporting into XAF applications. Note that WinForms, ASP.NET, and Blazor XAF applications are standard .NET applications, and the approaches described in the GUI and Web Reporting tutorials are fully applicable, but you need to create a user interface for reports access and implement a storage for user-defined reports manually. The Reports V2 module provides ready-to-use solutions for these tasks, which cover the most popular scenarios.
With the Reports V2 module, reports are represented by business objects that are stored with other persistent objects in the application database. A list of included reports (both predefined in Visual Studio and added by end-users) is displayed in the Reports List View, which can be invoked from the Reports navigation item. The Reports View is accompanied by the Actions used to manage reports (create, design, print, copy, etc.). Reports can also be executed from a business object context - you can select several objects and then use the ShowInReport Action to display these objects in a report.
If the solutions provided by the Reports V2 module are not applicable in your particular scenario, feel free to integrate XtraReports in a custom way (see How to: Show an XtraReport created at design time, without the use of XAF Reports module).
Reports V2 Capabilities
- Create, preview and print end-user reports at runtime and persist these reports in the database.
- Preview and print predefined reports designed by the developer in Visual Studio.
- Use predefined reports as templates for creating end-user reports.
DevExpress Controls Used by the ReportsV2 Module
- XRDesignForm - used to design reports in WinForms (when the IModelOptionsWin.FormStyle property is set to Standard).
- XRDesignRibbonForm - used to design reports in WinForms (when the IModelOptionsWin.FormStyle property is set to Ribbon).
- ReportPrintTool - used to preview and print reports in WinForms applications.
- ASPxReportDesigner - used to design reports in ASP.NET applications.
- ASPxDocumentViewer - used to preview and print reports in ASP.NET applications (when the ReportsAspNetModuleV2.ReportViewerType property is set to ASP).
- ASPxWebDocumentViewer - used to preview and print reports in ASP.NET applications (when the ReportsAspNetModuleV2.ReportViewerType property is set to HTML5).
- DxReportDesigner - used to design reports in Blazor applications.
- DxDocumentViewer - used to preview and print reports in Blazor applications.
Reports V2 Module Components
The Reports V2 Module consists of the following platform-agnostic and platform-specific components.
Add it to your platform-agnostic module in the MySolution.Module\Module.cs (Module.vb) file (see ModuleBase.RequiredModuleTypes).
Add it to your WinForms application project in the MySolution.Win\WinApplication.cs (WinApplication.vb) file (see XafApplication.Modules).
Add it to your ASP.NET application project in the or MySolution.Web\WebApplication.cs (WebApplication.vb) file (see XafApplication.Modules).
Add it to your Blazor application project in the MySolution.Blazor.Server\BlazorApplication.cs file (see XafApplication.Modules).
Report Data Type
Reports are persisted using business objects (entities) that implement the IReportDataV2 interface. If you use XPO, the ReportDataV2 persistent class implemented in the Business Class Library is used automatically. If you use Entity Framework, you should manually set the ReportsModuleV2.ReportDataType property to ReportDataV2 and add this type to your DBContext (see Create a Report in Visual Studio). You can also use a custom report data type (see How to: Add a Custom Column to the Reports List).