Excel Export Library
- 2 minutes to read
The Excel Export library is designed to quickly generate a spreadsheet document in code and export it to Excel formats. This library is developed to significantly improve performance and reduce memory consumption while generating spreadsheets. To maintain high performance standards, it does not create an internal document model, and writes data directly to a memory or file stream.
Unlike the multi-purpose Spreadsheet Document API, which can load and edit spreadsheet documents, the Excel Export library is designed only for generating spreadsheet files in code, so that you can use the Excel Export API to export data from your application to Excel formats in the most efficient manner and with minimal memory usage (that is important to those of you who need to generate numerous Excel documents on the server side).
To learn more about the Excel Export library capabilities and restrictions, refer to the Overview section.
The most significant Excel Export library features are:
- Create basic elements of a spreadsheet document: worksheets, columns, rows and cells.
- Specify cell formatting: background color, alignment, borders, font settings, and number format.
- Apply different fonts to specific text regions within a cell.
- Add formulas and hyperlinks to a cell.
- Create merged cells.
- Add conditional formatting to worksheet cells.
- Freeze worksheet columns and rows.
- Display a worksheet from right to left.
- Insert pictures and add hyperlinks to them.
- Use filtering and grouping functionality.
- Create data validation criteria.
- Insert and modify sparklines.
- Define print options: add headers and footers to a worksheet printout, set a print area and specify print titles.
- Create and adjust tables.
The Excel Export library supports the following file formats for data export.
Microsoft Office Open XML format - the default file format of Microsoft Excel, starting with Microsoft Excel 2007.
Microsoft Excel 97-2003 binary file format.
Comma Separated Values - the plain text format that uses comma characters as separators between cells.