Word Processing Document API
- 3 minutes to read
The Word Processing Document API is a non-visual .NET library used to automate frequent word processing tasks (format conversion, document editing , mail merge, print and export to PDF, etc.).
The Word Processing Document API does not require the DevExpress.Docs.v19.1.dll assembly for operation and distribution. A separate license is not required.
The Word (RTF) Document API’s main features are:
- Plain Text
- RTF (Rich Text Format)
- DOCX (Microsoft Office 2007 - … format)
- DOC (Microsoft Word 97-2003 format)
- WordML format (MS Office Word 2003 XML format)
- OpenDocument (implemented by the OpenOffice.org office suite)
- MHTML (web page archive format)
- EPUB (Electronic Publication)
- PDF format (export only)
You can load, edit, save, print and export (to PDF) documents with the right-to-left text direction.
- Combine multiple documents into a single file.
- Select a specific document part (text range, paragraph, etc.), save it as a separate file or insert it in another document.
- Print documents with the default or custom print settings.
Format characters: change the font, font size, character style (bold, italics, underlined and strike-through), background and foreground colors.
Paragraph format options include alignment, indentation, text direction, and line spacing.
- Create and modify bulleted, numbered and multi-level lists.
- Apply paragraph and character-based styles.
- Insert images in popular formats: JPEG, JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP, TIF, TIFF, WMF, EMF, and DIB.
- Create, move, resize and rotate drawing objects.
- Insert and modify hyperlinks and bookmarks.
- Create and adjust checkboxes.
- Perform table operations: insert tables, rows and columns, edit the table layout, split and merge cells, align cell content, change borders and shading to individual cells, and delete cells, columns and rows.
- Create a document template for letters, catalogs, mailing labels and personalize any kind of document using the mail merge feature.
- Nest master and detail templates within the basic merge template to create a master-detail report. Use this feature to create catalogs, header/detail invoices or statements.
- The Word Processing Document API supports a subset of fields defined in the ECMA-376 (Office OpenXML) standard, including the DOCVARIABLE field.
- Parse the document into different sections with individual page settings.
- Split text in multiple columns within a particular section.
- Specify different headers and footers for the first page, odd and even pages, and each section. Insert the current page number and the total number of pages.
- Add line numbers to document margins for certain types of legal documents. Line numbers can run continuously throughout the document, restart on each page or section, or be suppressed for a specific paragraph.