Business Model Design with Entity Framework 6 (Maintenance Mode)
- 2 minutes to read
Microsoft has moved EF 6 into maintenance mode, and as such, EF 6 will not mirror XAF’s .NET Core offering. At present, EF Core supports key XAF technologies/capabilities including advanced security and comprehensive audit trail support. EF Core also offers better performance when compared to EF 6. For more information, see Porting from EF 6 to EF Core.
This section describes the use of the Entity Framework 6 (EF) data model in XAF.
It is recommended that you first review the Business Model Design topic to learn when and why to choose EF 6 as the data layer in your XAF application.
To learn how to install EF 6, refer to the Get Entity Framework topic. Entity Framework 6 support in XAF is provided by the DevExpress.ExpressApp.EF.v21.1.dll assembly. The supported version of EF 6 is 6.1.3. Higher versions are currently untested and may cause errors.
To install version 6.1.3, run the following command in the Package Manager Console: “
PM> Install-Package EntityFramework -Version 6.1.3“. If you use the Solution Wizard to create a EF 6-based XAF solution, then EF 6 is installed automatically by the wizard.
- Use the Entity Framework 6 Data Model
- Relationships Between Entities
- Use Entity Framework 6 with an Existing Database
- How to: Apply Attributes to Entity Properties when Using Model First
- How to: Use Both Entity Framework 6 and XPO in a Single Application
- How to: Use the Entity Framework 6 Code First in XAF
- How to: Use the Entity Framework 6 Data Model Located in an External Assembly
- How to: Recompile the Business Class Library
- How to: Supply Initial Data for the Entity Framework 6 Data Model
We extensively test our Entity Framework support against Microsoft SQL Server only.
Please contact us if you encounter issues with other database providers.