Word Processing Document API
- 3 minutes to read
The Word Processing Document API is a non-visual .NET library which allows you to automate frequent word processing tasks (format conversion, document editing in code, mail merge, printing to PDF, etc.).
The Word Processing Document API does not require the DevExpress.Docs.v18.2.dll assembly for operation and distribution. A separate license is not required.
The Word (RTF) Document API's main features are listed below.
- Plain Text
- RTF (Rich Text Format)
- DOCX (Microsoft Office 2007 - ... format)
- DOC (Microsoft Word 97-2003 format)
- WordML format (MS Office Word 2003 XML format)
- OpenDocument (implemented by the OpenOffice.org office suite)
- MHTML (web page archive format)
- EPUB (Electronic Publication)
- PDF format (export only)
You can load, save, print and export (to PDF) documents with the right-to-left text direction.
- Combine multiple documents into a single file.
- Select a specific document part (text range, paragraph, etc.), save it as a separate file or insert it in another document.
- Print documents with the default or custom printing settings.
Format characters by changing the font, font size, character style (bold, italics, underlined and strike-through), and different background and foreground colors.
Paragraphs' formatting options include alignment, indentation, variable paragraph, and line spacing.
- Create and modify bulleted, numbered and multi-level lists.
- Apply paragraph and character-based styles.
- Insert inline images using popular formats such as JPEG, JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP, TIF, TIFF, WMF, EMF, and DIB.
- Create, move, resize and rotate floating objects.
- Insert and modify hyperlinks and bookmarks.
- Create and adjust checkboxes.
- Perform table operations such as inserting tables, rows and columns, editing the table layout by splitting and merging cells, aligning cell content, applying borders and shading to individual cells, and deleting cells, columns and rows.
- Create a document template for letters, catalogs, mailing labels and personalize any kind of document using the mail merge feature.
- Nest master and detail templates within the basic merge template to create a master-detail report. Use this feature to create catalogs, header/detail invoices or statements.
- The Word Processing Document API supports a subset of fields defined in the ECMA-376 (Office OpenXML) standard, including the DOCVARIABLE field.
- Parse the document into different sections with individual page settings.
- Split text in multiple columns within a particular section.
- Specify different headers and footers for the first page, odd and even pages, and each section. Insert the current page number and the total number of pages.
- Add line numbers to document margins for certain types of legal documents. Line numbers can run continuously throughout the document, restart on each page or section, or hidden be suppressed for a specific paragraph.